- Vasan RS, B. A. S. S. L. M. K. W. D. R. L. D. Residual lifetime risk for developing hypertension in middle-aged women and men: The Framingham Heart Study. JAMA.,2002 Feb 27;287(8):1003-10.
- The American Academy of Family Physicians: Managing Hypertension in Athletes and Physically Active Patients (https://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0801/p445.html)
- Ruivo JA, Alcantara P. Hypertension and exercise. Rev Port Cardiol.2012 Feb;31(2):151-8. doi: 10.1016/j.repc.2011.12.012. Epub 2012 Jan 10.
- Whelton SP, Chin A, Xin X, He J. Effect of aerobic exercise on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Ann Intern Med. 2002 Apr 2;136(7):493-503.
- Berge HM et al. Blood pressure in elite athletes: A systematic review, Br J Sports Med. (2015)
- Williams PT,Relationship of Distance Run per Week to Coronary Heart Disease Risk Factors in 8283 Male Runners The National Runners’ Health Study, Arch Intern Med. 1997 Jan 27; 157(2): 191–198.
RED-S is a state of chronic low energy availability where how much energy an athlete needs does not match up with what the athlete is taking in.